Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sweet Pink Shrug is Finished!

Here is the completed shrug, worn by my daughter, sweet as cotton candy:




I used the blue straight loom to make the body, and the blue round loom for the sleeves, with Bernat Baby Coordinates yarn. I knit 1 over 1 on 48 pegs (using the anchor peg and a loom clip). At the bottom of the shrug, I alternated knit and purl stitches for 8 rows, then completed the body using stockinette stitches.
For the arm holes, I simply removed the yarn from the corner pegs and put it on the peg next to it, and knit off. Then separately I knit each "panel" between the arm holes, cutting the working yarn when I knit off 60 rows. After 60 rows I e-wrapped all the pegs with the working yarn and knit off 6 rows, alternating knit and purl stitches to make the neckline.

I made the arm holes too big, so I am going to make the shrug again to get more exact directions before I post detailed directions on how to make it. Also, I ran out of the yarn after completing one of the sleeves. When I bought another skein, I noticed that the gauge was slightly thinner than the shein I had used to knit the shrug with, but I didn't realize this until after I had completed most of the second sleeve and had to frog it. To make the sleeves fit better, I simply "turned" the top rows of the sleeve, as if I were knitting the heel of a sock. At first I wasn't sure if this would work; I thought it might not fit my daughter very well. But when she tried it on it fit perfectly.

The finished body of the shrug measures 10.5x11; the sleeves are 16" each. Naturally, since I used the stockinette stitch, the cuffs on the sleeves curl, and the chest panels curl also; but I don't mind that. That isn't a dropped stitch on her shoulder; that's where I made a knot in the yarn when I joined the sleeve to the body. I need to tuck that on the inside to hide it better.

I decided to knit the entire piece 1 over 1 because she would be wearing it to keep the chill off during dance class. My wife thinks it will go well with her Sunday dress on Easter. I agree.

7 comments:

  1. very nice shrug. I look forward to seeing the completed directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! Do you have a FaceBook page?

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice! it's always fun to see guy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loom Dude, Your shrug is absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful!

    I am a fan of all your knitting. Spectacular projects and results. I hope someday, you will transfer to patterns for purchase. I would stand in line!!

    Fantastic Kknitting!!
    LindaJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! You can friend me at www.facebook.com/artmangreghuff . And I will definitely be putting those patterns out! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awsome Job!!
    From Loom Knitters Challenge (Facebook)

    ReplyDelete