Thursday, April 7, 2011

Felted Pants and other things

Now that I've learned how to felt, I'm going to try something a little ambitious: I'm going to make a piar of felted pants for my daughter! I'm using the round red loom for the pants legs, and I'm using fisherman's wool natural color for the yarn, since I got such great results from using it to loom knit a pair of felted mittens. So far I have knit one pants leg using a 1 over 2 stockinette stitch for 134 rows:



It measures about 20" without the curls at the end. It's too late for her to wear them this season since the warmth of Springtime is finally kicking in. I'm trying to estimate how much I think she might grow by next season, and allow for the shrinking process during felting. I've already started the next pants leg, and I'm making up the pattern as I go along, so if it doesn't come out quite right I'll try again and make corrections. Hopefully they won't be too itchy for her; the mittens I made for someone else weren't itchy at all. Once the pants are felted I plan to make some little felted flowers to decorate them with.



As a result of being given the Stylish Blogger award (thanks to Sharon of Sharon's Eclectic Retreat blog), I would like to present 7 things you probably didn't know about Loom Dude:

1. I enjoy rollerblading and ice skating when I get the chance.

2. I am a great cook (most of the time).

3. I like watching the Weather Channel (even before they started having more variety programming).

4. Christmas is my favorite holiday.

5. I used to make my own ice cream when I was a kid (using an ice cream maker).

6. I have more creative projects than I have time to do them all!

7. Magenta is one of my favorite colors.


That was fun; now tell me one thing about you!


P.S. - I added a bunch of new blog links to my website at http://www.loomdude.com/. Click on the links page and take a look!

4 comments:

  1. You are so creative with your loom. All I've managed to make are hats that turned out great and scarves that roll on the edges. I need to put the crocheting aside and practice more on the looms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me? I also like magenta, reds, blues, purples, grays. Fav holiday: Thanksgiving. I, too, have way too many WIPs & way too many that I want to do. And from the time I was little until late teens (probably later), my parents had a 6 qt. White Mountain crank ice cream freezer (yes, they are still made). I'd sit at the top of the driveway & sing church songs at top volume while I cranked. Neighbors sometimes called Mother to ask when we were going to make more ice cream because they liked to hear me sing! I majored in voice & classical piano in jr. college, did a bluegrass radio show for years, have written a few songs and a lot of poems (some on my blog), & have done some pickin' & singin' for my supper, so to speak. And when I was in my mid-40s, I had my own motorcycle! I'll be 67 in May, legally blind & wear hearing aids. Getting old ain't for wimps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am crochet by Wayne....should start my own blog....Have made many scarves, afghans, bags, now on a kick making Cowls....Like your loom work...Have looms, never used them much...quess I should...Thanks for sharing your stuff..

    OhioMan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Sharon - thanks for the nice comment, and once you get started loom knitting you never know what surprises are in store.

    Netagene - what a full life! I'll try to remember, but in case I forget in May - Happy Birthday!

    OhioMan - would love to see some of your work sometime!

    ReplyDelete