Saturday, March 27, 2010

Easter eggs, anyone?

Here are some Easter eggs I made quite easily on the flower loom:

I figured it was my opportunity to play and experiment with different patterns and stitches, so I tried a few different things. Plus I wanted to use up some of the leftover yarn that was lying around. Side view:

First I went to a local drugstore that had plastic Easter eggs on sale for 30% off. I bought a bag of them and set them aside. Then, with flower loom in hard, I set to work. Some of the patterns you see on the eggs were created by alternating the different colors of yarn in with the working yarn. For example: I may e-wrap peg 1 with the green working yarn, then e-wrap peg two with the yellow add in yarn, and so on. The best part to me was that no one would ever see the inside of the egg, so no matter how tangled or how much the yarn criss-crossed each other no one would see it.

To make the eggs I simply did a drawstring cast on using red heart 1 over 2 e-wrap stitch and knit off 8 rows, then pulled the drawstring and kept checking the number of rows by putting the egg inside the finished yarn to see how much more I needed to knit. I would up knitting about 15-16 rows to completely cover the egg, depending on the weight of the yarn. I tried a few of the thick and quick yarns to see how they would work, and they worked well. Here is an example: after the drawstring cast on, I simply e-wrapped every other peg with the opposite color:

Here is one pattern that I made up. I is a double zig-zag.

The round circles represent pegs, the black circles represent the pegs that are wrapped in the color of the pattern. Each line represents one row of knitting. And here is the result:

To me unless I really look at it I don’t see the zig-zag, so I don’t feel it was as successful. But it still looks nice.

I tried a couple of other patterns that I saw in loom knitting books that I had, with varying results.

Then I made up my most successful patterns: the cross, and the checkerboard, both of which are simple to do. The checkerboard pattern is as follows:

And here is the result:

The cross I didn’t even make up a pattern for; I just had an idea in my head of how it should come out:

Now the wildest one I tried was making I-cords and twisting them and knitting them back into the egg. This would have worked a little better if I had not knit the i-cords so long and perhaps had used the red heart medium weight yarn instead of the homespun.

I think it would have been a little clearer, but for a first effort, I can still be proud!

Here are all the eggs in one basket. Yeah, I know, Momma said never to put all your eggs in one basket…

No comments:

Post a Comment